Friday, July 3, 2015

The Living Dead - Discussion



What’s that one topic that everyone has an opinion on? Zombies. I remember back in the eighth grade when my friends and I would talk all the time about the zombie apocalypse. Now, when I was in eighth grade was when that whole Mayan Apocalypse thing was happening and everyone was expecting the world to end December 2012. Everyone had different ideas of how that was going to go down, from Lucifer and Michael going at it to full blown Night of the Living Dead
 
Personally, I thought the whole “It’s the end of the world!” thing was just a big joke and people were totally overreacting. And I was right, wasn’t I? 2012 continued right onto 2013 and a lot of people looked really stupid. Anyways, even though I thought it was all bull****, I talked about the matter with my group of friends. We actually got so into talking about it, that my one friend, Colton, and I wrote a zombie-like short story (well, it really was killer squirrels attacking people and turning them into half human/half squirrel zombies). 

Well, the point of this post is to not only talk about my favorite zombie flicks, but to ask anyone who reads this their favorite ones. Please comment below what your favorite zombie movie is, or email me at gomegaswellow@gmail.com or message my tumblr

Okay, now onto the good stuff. I watch a ton of zombie films, though there haven’t really been a whole lot of good ones recently. My favorite zombie movies, however, are the ones of George A. Romero. Night of the Living Dead, Land of the Dead, Day of the Dead, etc. I love them all. Now, by far, my favorite is the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead. I first watched that one when I was around six years old, and I was terrified, but I was amazed as well. It was the zombie flick that opened me to a whole new realm. From then on, I watched every single living dead film that passed my way. One that really caught my eye, however, was Land of the Dead. This film starred Simon Baker, Robert Joy, Asia Argento, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, and Eugene Clark. If you haven’t watched it, you should. It’s pretty good, like Romero’s other works. (Spoiler Alert!) Right, so the film is about Riley Denbo (Baker), and his friends Slack (Argento) and Charlie (Joy), who realize that the zombies are ‘evolving’. They are learning. They are starting to act almost human again. One zombie, ‘Big Daddy’ (Clark) leads them on a revolution against the last of the humans. Riley and the others try to save as many humans as possible and while the all of this is going on, Cholo DeMora (Leguizamo) leads a group of fighters in their truck “Dead Reckoning” against the top human, Kaufman (Hopper). That’s basically what it’s about. 
 
Let's not forget The Walking Dead. I'm probably the only one who doesn't really like this show as much. Like I watched the first couple of seasons and was into it and all but after awhile, it got kind of old. It's far too mainstream for me at the moment. I can't walk into a single store anymore without finding some kind of Walking Dead merch. For those of you who don't know, it's pretty annoying. It's like Grumpy Cat. There are way too many things based off of it. Some stores have entire aisles or walls dedicated to the show. Anyways. I like the the first few seasons and all, but it wore off. 

Anything else? It's pretty late at the moment, so I'm kind of dead. Living Dead *waits for someone to laugh* *no one laughs*.  Ah, a thought just came to me.

Do you guys like fast zombies? Or the classic slow ones? Why? Or, do you like the World War Z types that are fast when there's food around, but slow and unresponsive when there is nothing to stimulate them? 

Personally, I like the slow ones better. Reasons: 

  1. You're less screwed with slow zombies because at least you can power walk the f**k away from them. 
  2. They're classic.
  3. If you're dead, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be able to run faster than you did when you were alive. 


Well, that's all I have on the undead. So sorry I made this post so late into the night, and sorry for totally skipping yesterdays post. I've was a little busy and I'm not feeling too great and couldn't find the time to make a post, but I'll see if I can make two posts tomorrow. Another note: I'm going to try and find time to go see The Gallows, which comes out July 10th. It looks like it's one of those supernatural found footage films, which I'm really into. I'll be sure to review it for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment